Assistant General Manager
The Village Health Clubs and Spas are premier healthy lifestyle clubs where we encourage and foster a work life balance and healthy living. We offer a fun environment designed to promote health and wellness for members and employees alike. Our uniquely social culture makes us a great choice for employees who want to share their passion for health and fitness.
We offer beautiful facilities, state-of-the-art equipment, and dynamic programming, but what really sets us apart is our team of positive, friendly staff at each location. Our employees encourage one another, working together to create a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere for everyone we encounter.
Our culture statement gets right to the point: “As one we have fun and get it done!” Join our team today and experience the Village Way for yourself.
Assists the General Manager in managing the day-to-day club operations to ensure delivery of superior customer service, achievement of high employee and member satisfaction and performance relative to club objectives. Assists the General Manger in executing the implementation strategy and ongoing management of company wide standards for key operational activities, programs and goals throughout the club. Responsible for efficient management and service delivery of multiple departments within the club including, as applicable, front desk, youth services, café, and maintenance/housekeeping. Provide leadership, direction, and support to all direct reports.
Summary Of Essential Job Functions:
• Provides leadership, direction, and support to direct reports, overseeing supervision of multiple departments
• Ensures polices are followed including but not limited to, hiring and training new employees, new hire orientation, performance reviews and disciplinary measures and works with Human Resources to coordinate development plans for key supervisory staff
• Manages, organizes and facilitates new hire orientation
• Provide leadership for the club in absence of, or as required by, the General Manager.
• Consistently monitor the level and quality of service through frequent customer interaction and club walk-throughs.
• Assist in managing the financial performance of multiple departments through achievement of sales and revenue targets, expense management, and proper planning and forecasting.
• Ensure all managed departments are properly trained and certified in emergency response systems, first aid, CPR and AED.
• Serve as a communication link for managed employees ensuring changes or additions in policies, procedures, and or company focus is properly communicated and integrated into their departments.
• Participate in regular staff meetings to update all managed departments on company visions and missions, club performance and new programs and services on an as-need basis.
• Attract and Retain members by consistently providing excellent customer service
• Approachable management style which includes supervising and managing staff members, planning, assigning and direct work/projects, appraising performance, and annual individual/team goals
• Prepare and manage departmental budget
• Place high emphasis on the importance of the social element. This includes participation in planning and execution of club events as needed, such as Parent’s Night Out, Jazz by the Pool and Casino Night.
• Participates in the Manager on Duty System
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Two years of college with a focus in Exercise Science, Recreation Management, Business Administration or any related field where comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
• One year of experience in club/fitness environment in a leadership role or five years experience in club/fitness environment
• Minimum five years experience managing multiple/operational departments
• Ability to exercise independent judgment with all day-to-day operational decisions, member and staff decisions
• Highly developed team-building skills with the ability to work effectively with all layers of management
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Professional Demeanor
• High degree of self-organization, discipline, and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where continuous improvement is needed
• Ability to effectively delegate
• Strong team building skills including ability to lead, train, cooperate and contribute as part of a team
• Committed to learning, personal growth, and continual process improvement
• Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
• Must be change adaptive, flexible, and empathetic
• Demonstrate initiative to think, work, and make independent decisions based on sound judgment
• Willing to "roll-up" sleeves and dig in with staff to drive processes that support the business
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel and/or PowerPoint) and Outlook
• Obtain CPR certification within 30 days of hire through Company training
• Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, Recreation Management, Business Administration or any related field where comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
This position requires some standing, walking, lifting, grasping, bending, and kneeling for filing. Sitting for some periods of time. Substantial repetitive movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Involved in activities where one must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Requires the ability to receive detailed information through written and oral communication.
Sedentary work involving sitting some of the time. Walking and standing are required daily. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. In addition, may involve physical movement which includes sports and activities related to membership events and programs.
This position requires close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing computer monitors and extensive reading.
Typical office or administrative work plus member outdoor activity.