Programs / Activities Director
The Village Health Clubs and Spas are premier healthy lifestyle clubs where we encourage and foster a work life balance and healthy living. We offer a fun environment designed to promote health and wellness for members and employees alike. Our uniquely social culture makes us a great choice for employees who want to share their passion for health and fitness.
We offer beautiful facilities, state-of-the-art equipment, and dynamic programming, but what really sets us apart is our team of positive, friendly staff at each location. Our employees encourage one another, working together to create a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere for everyone we encounter.
Our culture statement gets right to the point: “As one we have fun and get it done!” Join our team today and experience the Village Way for yourself.
The Programs/Activities Director assists in the long-term retention of club memberships by developing, implementing and managing member service programs and activities for existing member participation and to attract new members.
Summary of Essential Functions:
- Organize special events and activities to Attract and Retain members by consistently providing excellent customer service.
- Address any needs beyond programs for families, couples, and single members.
- Oversee the adult and junior basketball leagues, clinics and lessons. Plan monthly court schedule.
- Oversee the aquatics programming, swim lessons and swim team. Plan monthly pool schedule and master swim classes.
- Develop, implement and grow participation in current and new programs such as: Troon Golf and summer golf league, hikes, triathlons (bike rides, track, and master swim), racquet sports (racquetball, squash, and liaison with tennis). Implement new programs as needed.
- Approachable management style requiring supervising, training, and managing a staff. Planning, assigning and directing projects, appraising performance, and annual reviews.
- Responsible for hiring, staffing, scheduling and training staff including swim instructors, swim coaches, basketball court supervisors and triathlon coordinator.
- Prepare and manage departmental budget.
- Works with all department heads in all aspects of the club and perform a weekly MOD (Manager on Duty) shift along with a once a month weekend MOD shift.
- Place high emphasis on importance of the social element in the clubs. Planning and execution of monthly club events such as happy hours, cooking classes, golf clinics/outings, hikes, and other social events. Plan, budget and execute three major club parties annually. Work with other Programs/Activities employees across the clubs to execute the annual employee party.
- Collaborate with Group Exercise Directors to promote and assist in the annual Cycle for the Cure/Fitness for the Cure event held across all Village clubs.
- Oversee the Membership Integration Program by performing tasks such as: sending new member welcome emails detailing new member services and upcoming events. Partner with department heads to insure that new members are onboarded and involved. Run a monthly report to review new member usage and follow up if needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreational management or equivalent years of experience.
- Possess a high attention to detail in order to manage and organize all club events and programs.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment where continuous improvement is expected.
- Ability to effectively delegate.
- Strong team building skills including ability to lead, train, cooperate and contribute as a team leader.
- Committed to learning, personal growth, and continual process improvement.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be change adaptive, flexible, and empathetic.
- Demonstrate initiative to think, work, and make independent decisions.
- Willingness to "roll-up sleeves” and participate in programs and processes that support business initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook.
- Obtain CPR certification within 30 days of hire through Company training.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Customer service management experience in a health club or country club environment, with a strong working knowledge of the health promotion and fitness industry.
- Experience as a program director in a recreational multipurpose facility and service environment.
- Good working knowledge of social media platforms Facebook, Instagram, twitter is highly preferred.
This position requires frequent standing, walking, lifting, bending and kneeling. Sitting for some periods of time. Substantial repetitive movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Involved in activities where one must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly. Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Requires the ability to receive detailed information through written and oral communication.
This position requires heavy physical activity; may be required to aid in moving tables, chairs, and miscellaneous equipment up to 50 pounds. Engage in Fitness activities that require physical activity such as running and hiking. Walking and standing are required daily. Sedentary work involving sitting some of the time
This position requires close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing computer monitors and extensive reading.
It involves typical office or administrative work and member indoor and outdoor activities.